Skip to main content

5 Challenges of Teaching Online Courses





For the past year or so, I have been brainstorming ideas for online courses. Back in 2012, I set up an online course on Udemy entitled: "Overcoming The Loser Spirit". That course was comprised of both blogposts and podcasts in which I had discussed the concept of "The Loser Spirit".

A few students enrolled in the course and I kind of forgot about...until I was sent a notice by Udemy that there curriculum policies were changing. Now, Udemy requires that video be incorporated into the classes on their platform.

At the time, I had no interest in doing video of any kind. For one, I was unsure on whether I could successfully create a course-worthy video lecture. I walked away from the whole teaching on Udemy thing and focused on other projects.

Fast forward to early this year, when I made the decision to launch this blog and  revive "The Loser Spirit" series as an online course.  In addition, this year I started experimenting with filming myself and as result, I launched a Youtube.com channel.

Below are the 5 challenges which I encountered while creating online courses:

1. Fear
I didn't realize it at the time, but I was afraid to take "go big" with my online course. As a result, I stuck to text and audio only during my first foray on Udemy.

2. Technology
I consider myself a tech-savvy person but, for some reason I was reluctant to add video into my teaching arsenal. I guess that I was afraid that students would judge me on my appearance and not the course materials being presented.

3. Not Leveraging  Available Resources
Every day, I listen to podcasts which discuss the latest trends in business technology. I was well aware how to find resources to help me polish my online course offerings. However, for some reason, I was failing to properly use that information for my benefit.

4. Poor Time Management
I am pretty good at getting things done one time. However, when it came to creating the online courses, my time management habits seemed to fail me. I am attributing to items 1-3 listed above.

5. Lack Of Clarity
I had so many ideas for online courses that I failed to come up with a sustainable model for a course. Previously, I brainstormed ideas for online courses without a clear idea on how I wanted to execute them.

Listen to this episode of the Bougie Girl University podcast here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bougie Girl University: Seasonal Decorating On A Budget-Fall

This year my small scale Fall decorations only cost about $30 (which includes the solar lights) 1. Choose a Focal Point 2. Confine your decorating space 3. Lighting 4. Stick to your budget

Bougie Girl Univeristy:Building A Room On A Budget-Paint Is My New BFF

Before After Over the years, I have had a love-hate relationship with paint. In my prior experiences, painting projects never quite turned out right. Either I slathered too much paint on an object or not enough. As my income increased, so did my tendency to avoid DIY painting projects of any kind. My living room decor is comprised of red, black, and white. However, my TV stand/entertainment center did not coordinate with my living at all. I contemplated replacing it with a black one. But, the comparable ones were a couple hundred dollars. I ruled out searching Craigslist and other secondhand resources due to lack of time.  As time wore on, it became clearer to me that my best option in this scenario was to paint this piece of furniture black. Luckily, I have a fenced in backyard and a seemingly never-ending roll of plastic sheeting which has acted as a barrier between my project and the patio. Here is my list of  suggestions for spray painting furniture: 1. Study

Bougie Girl University: Crafting Your Comeback-You Don't Have To Do It All At Once

1. Why is patience so important during a comeback journey? 2. 3 tips for staying patient during a comeback journey. 3. How to build momentum during a comeback journey. 4. Small steps which spur bigger actions